Monster Love.

By now y'all know that my 5th period, God love 'em, raises my blood pressure around 1 pm every day. Yesterday I sent 3 (out of 13) kids out with referrals. Often I end up ranting to the counselors and/or the Special Ed department head about how teaching this class warrants hazard pay and that basically I should be declared the Patron Saint of Misbehaving Teenagers. But then one of them leaves me a really sweet message, or answers a question in a way that assures me he's been listening, or makes me really truly belly laugh, and then I forgive them. For about 24 hours, anyway. ;) Here are some pics of them in class today:


you guessed it.

The Assistant Principal (of Discipline)'s best customers

Sweet GM in between my two lil rackety girls

About half of them working on their journal question

performing onstage for the Human Rights assembly

They're so cute from afar, aren't they??

Yesterday my girls and I met at Lake Chalet for Taco Tuesday happy hour . . . and despite my alcohol handicap (no booze till Easter!), I had so much fun with Rebecca, Sara, and Anna. My baby grilled jicama taco was delicious, the company was perfect, the atmosphere made me feel like we were sitting on the set of Sex and the City (four girls chatting over cocktails! well, three girls with cocktails, one with water), and afterwards I just felt totally restored. I love my girl time more than pretty much anything else.

Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to Ali and Diana coming over tonight to talk about poems! Can't wait to hug their pretty necks, catch up, and feel a little bit more like a writer. Our first assignment (from Ali) was to "write a letter to a moment" . . . and true to form, I'm not finished yet. Yikes. On that note, I better get on that!