I'm a holiday girl

Do you love holidays?  In general, I'm all about celebrating and traditions.  For example, I think it's incredibly cool that on Halloween night, people all across America (and other countries, too!)--rich, poor, city, rural, etc. etc. are all dressed up in elaborate costumes.  It's unifying, you know?

Since pretty much my entire extended family lives within a 20 mile radius of each other in Georgia, holidays always mean gatherings, too--lots of delicious food, hanging out with each other, etc.  They get together on Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Mother's Day, 4th of July, etc.  I am always home at Christmas, but I get nostalgic on the other holidays and really miss everyone at home.  I usually call my mama, and she passes the phone around so I can say hello, but I miss actually being with my family.  It's gonna get harder when my sister has a kid (eventually).

I'm wearing a green sweater today to avoid getting pinched (a green sweater that I got at the BCBG outlet for $9, might I add), but I don't really celebrate St. Patrick's Day.  When I was 15, one of my close friends died on St. Patrick's Day, and it's kinda taken the air out of the holiday for me.  Although anniversaries can be hard, I don't have all the crazy emotions around his death anymore (I mean, it's been 14 years now), but I can't help but think of Dan on St. Patrick's Day, and it makes me disinclined to rage over green beers and glittery hats.

Also, I don't eat corned beef.  And also, I feel a nagging sense of cultural appropriation when it comes to "ethnic" holidays like St. Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo.  It doesn't mean I can't appreciate them (or want to toast to Mexico over margaritas on May 5), but I almost feel like an imposter, if that makes sense.

But for those of you who celebrate, Happy St. Patrick's Day.  And may all of us be the recipients of tremendous Irish luck!