Call me crazy . . .

but somehow, I really do love Valentine's Day.

I've rarely been coupled on Valentine's Day.  I have an uncanny ability to end up in the midst of a break-up, or arrive at some sort of ending, right before February 14th (this year being no exception).  And yet, I can't help it--I still love the holiday.

Maybe it's that I love love, maybe it's that I love chocolate, maybe it's how cute conversation hearts look in Spanish:


My girlfriends and I have had an all girls Valentine's Day sleepover at my house the past five years, even those years we've been in relationships.  The V-Day sleepover always involves mac & cheese, pink lollipops, Valentini cocktails, funfetti cupcakes, nail polish, copious amounts of Sex and the City, and silky jammies.

doing my nails at V-Day sleepover 2006

I think this was 2008--we even had heart-shaped ravioli!

part of last year's spread

It's totally a controversial holiday.  Some people love getting super mushy with their lover, some couples think it's cheesy and commercial, some single people get bitter & boycott, and some single people--like me--embrace it as a day that celebrates LOVE!

Occasionally a little bit of self-pity begins to sink in, but then I remember how amazing my girlfriends are and how much fun the V-Day sleepover is every year.  And it's kind of cute that my coffee table is turning into a Valentine factory:


Plus, I bought this from Gracie's etsy shop last night:


What do you think of Valentine's Day?