Hello from Georgia!

As soon as I took my seat on the airplane, right next to a couple decked out in head-to-toe Harley Davidson gear (man with long gray ponytail, excess facial hair, Harley Davidson wife beater, and tattoos; woman with excess eyeliner, Harley clothes, Harley ring), I knew I was headed home.  I'm not kidding when I say that I heard them talking about their dog . . . named Harley.

My mama picked me up at the airport, and now I'm writing from my childhood bed (and at 3 am Georgia time).  There's even a framed picture of tiny baby Claire on the nightstand. :)

It feels good to be home, and I can't wait to see all my peeps.  Plus, my stepmom and I are going to get Brazilian blowouts tomorrow--woo hoo for shiny, frizzless locks!

But before I left California, I went to a baby shower for a very special lady.  Many of you know my dear friend Heather from her blog, A Measure Of . . . .  She was one of my first friends in grad school (I met her in my very first poetry workshop as an MFA student!), and we've never looked back--through several relationships, a few wild and mildly embarrassing stories, and trips around the world.  After a few-year stint in Patagonia, Chile, I finally have Heather back with me!  And now she has a husband and a baby (belly) in tow.

On Saturday we convened at The Hobnob, one of the East Bay's finest brunch establishments (my opinion might be swayed due to their $8 bottomless mimosas).  It was so wonderful to see Heather again (although harder to hug her now!) and to finally meet Serkan!  He's just as sweet and adorable as she'd described.

soon-to-be-parents, Serkan & Heather

And because I was so thrilled to be hanging out with Heather again, I didn't even mind that I was the only single person at the table, and the only woman drinking (I had four mimosas)!  Cheers to that, right?

Heather, Heather's belly, and me

She's a pretty damn cute pregnant lady.  She's all belly and she carries it so elegantly!  I cannot wait to meet lil man Yalin.  There's no doubt he's gonna be a stunner, what with his lovely & peaceful parents.  Move to Oakland, Heather!  You'll pretty much have an on-call auntie-sitter! :)