Is this the year of mobile transacting?

I have now spent three days at the Mobile World Congress. I have met many people and have sort-of walked through all of the halls. I think that it is safe to say that this year no clear theme is dominating. In the past Mobile TV and Advertising was clearly the talk of the town.

I have found the many different mobile phones very interesting. Some of the models that were on show from iMate, Palm and Blackberry were interesting. Even Garmin have now produced a phone (designed to be a super GPS of course). Handset manufacturers from the east have also shown great handsets. I found the Viewby from LG to be the most interesting.

If a dominant theme were to be picked, then I think it probably would be Mobile Remittances. The workshops and presentations on this topic was hugely oversubscribed. Maybe this year is the year of mobile transacting.