Friends don't let friends drink alone

When my friend Annie called asking if I wanted to head up to Napa with her yesterday to pick up her bi-monthly shipment at Domaine Carneros, you better believe I was all over that!

(I mean, let's be honest . . . pretty much any excuse to spend the day in Napa is good enough for me.  Dentist appointment, day-long meeting, funeral?  Sure, let's go taste some bubbly!).  I am so lucky to live just 40 minutes away from one of the most beautiful wine countries in the world.  And even though I can't afford to become a member at all of them (like I wish I could) and get shipments of new, surprising, incredible wine several times a year . . . I still love going up and tasting at some of my favorite spots as often as I can!

We started the day off right (with lattes) and then continued it right (with girl talk) on the way up to the winery.  Domaine Carneros looks like an old castle or something, and it sits atop this magnificent hill overlooking rows and rows of grapes.  We each got the sparkling tasting, and they were all so good, I couldn't even decide which was my favorite!

post bubbly flight & feelin' good

After purchasing the best truffle I've ever had in their store (orange mimosa . . . See's Candies, get with the program!), we popped across the street to the chic winery Cuvaison, where we were met with a knowledgeable sommelier (who blogs about wine here) who served us up a very fine (and slightly random) tasting menu.  I came *this close* to caving and buying a membership, but ultimately figured that buying myself expensive gifts right before Christmas was probably an unwise plan.

Our wine guy doubled as a photographer:

at Cuvaison!

After Cuvaison, we figured it would be self-destructive to taste any more wine without a meal, so we drove to downtown Napa and had some food (and another glass of wine) at one of my favorite spots, The Bounty Hunter (which I blogged about in April here).  They have a very impressive wine wall . . .

I'll take one of each!

Annie had some ribs and I had a roasted vegetable sandwich and we both had a blast! ;)  We figured we should call it a day after our third stop, and so we finished the day off right (with another latte) and headed home where, continuing the day's tradition of deliciousness, I proceeded to bake Andes mint chip cookies.

Love it!  Anytime anyone wants to spend the day up in Napa Valley, I'm your girl.  And now I'm off to watch my Saints smash on the Bengals!  Happy Sunday :)